Vientiane Mayor Atsaphangthong Siphandone has expressed support for the realisation of the Thanaleng Dry Port (TDP) and Vientiane Logistics Park (VLP).
The mayor made the support commitment on Saturday during a working trip to the mega trade infrastructure project being developed in Dongphosy village, Hadxaifong district, Vientiane.
His visit came as the developer of the US$727 million project, whose construction began last year, is preparing to launch a soft opening later this month.
“We will continue to provide various forms of support,” Mr Atsaphangthong told the project developer of the project after being briefed about the venture.
TDP Managing Director Sakhone Philangam told the mayor and his delegation that the absence of a goods or container yard hub and streamlined procedures has made Laos’ transport and related logistics ‘time consuming and costly’.
“Our purpose is to address these issues. The dry port is aimed at smoothing cross-border transport,” Mr Sakhone told the guests.
Also welcoming the guests was former Minister to the Prime Minister’s Office and current President of the Executive Board of Strategy and Planning at PTL Holding Company Limited, Mr Alounkeo Kittikhoun.
The TDP and VLP, located near 1st Lao-Thai Mekong Friendship Bridge, are expected to reduce cross-border transport costs, especially at the Friendship Vientiane-Nong Khai border crossing by 40 percent from current prices by 2025.
The TDP and VLP are part of the Lao National Logistics Strategy and Laos Logistics Link (LLL) that will help transform Laos from being landlocked to a land-linked country.
Vientiane Mayor Atsaphangthong Siphandone brought with him the directors of various government departments and pledged that his administration would support the rollout of the project.
He praised the developer for pursuing the project, saying it would address logistics and transport barriers, thus better facilitating and improve Lao logistics and transport.
The Vientiane Logistics Park is the only comprehensive logistics park in Vientiane and comprises five zones in one location as follows:
1. Thanaleng Dry Port (TDP): The dry port acts as the centre of international import and export trade with all categories of customs operations. Importantly, quality equipment, vehicles and warehouse systems will be installed professionally to enable the processing of larger numbers of container. Use of the Terminal Operation System (TOS) will guarantee the best service in terms of speed, security and reliability.
2. Tank Farm: This facility will store liquid bulk cargoes for importing and storing fuel from Thailand and will serve as a fuel distribution centre for Laos. Diesel and petroleum product will arrive at the tank from a dedicated rail yard and pipeline.
3. Logistics Park: The main services provided by the Logistics Park is a warehousing and distribution centre which offers goods storage, consolidation, distribution, inventory management, and warehouse management.
4. Free Trade Zone (FTZ): The main business activities ln the zone are the HALAL Hub and Agriculture Production Park, Technology Park, Office Zone, SME Building Area, Commercial Zone and Landmark (VLP Co., Ltd. office).
5. Export Processing Zone (EPZ): The new destination as a modern and the most dynamic EPZ in the region, this will offer a more competitive business environments and will gear up to become a manufacturing export hub for the Asean and global consumer market.